Sunday 3 March 2013

Pineapple Blossom Quilt


Woo Hoo, I have a finish this week.  A pinapple blossom quilt, made for my daughter Ursula.


I started this 2 years ago and finished the top quickly but then it was put away in a cupboard and forgotten about. I only decided to finish it when Ursula had her room decorated and as luck would have it, this matched perfectly.

This is the original block and I used a jelly roll mixed with the black dotty fabric to make my blocks.
Here, I had fun playing with layouts.......

.......and then again with the borders

........These border blocks were the cut off bits  from the main blocks and would have made a cute little baby quilt but I decided to use them for the borders.


Quilting was pretty straightforward - I did a large meandering stipple in the coloured parts and Ursula insisted she wanted feathers somewhere.  I did tell her they wouldn't show up much but she still wanted them regardless.
The feathers are in the black and outer border sections.  you can hardly see them, and I did use a contrasting thread but they are nice and subtle.


Of course you can see the quilting much better on the back


                                                                     Corner section

One of the best things about using a jelly roll is that you have ready made binding - brilliant!


So that's another UFO finished.  I have another jelly roll quilt top to quilt for my oldest daughter.  That's next on the list.
If you would like to make a pineapple blossom quilt, you can find the instructions here.  It's a Bonnie Hunter pattern. 

I did also finsih an ipad cover but I cannot remember where in the computer I put the photos - Doh!
Hopefully by next post I will have found them.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend .

5 comments:

Fran said...

The black dotted fabric is just perfect - I think it really makes this quilt! Nice job.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Stunning Rhianon!!!! You are simply amazing when it comes to quilting....love it.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Wow... this is one post full of beauty. LOVE your quilt!

QuilterMary said...

Your quilting is just wonderful! Pineapple Blossom is my list to do.

Nan S. said...

I LOVE your quilt. What jelly roll did you make? And how big are your blocks? The colors are fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...