Saturday 23 March 2013

Snow Dyed Quilt - Part 2


I got the little quilt finished.  Here it is:


It measures 42" x 47" and unfortunately the light was not at its best the day I took this photo.


I finished doing all the pebbling in the background.....

..... but then to my horror, I discovered you could see the turquoise border through the red butterflies.
Doesn't show up too well in this photo but believe me you could see them.
I had to think of a solution fast.  This is what I came up with:

3 dimensional butterflies !


They were quite easy to make - just used my template cut a bit smaller, to draw around on a piece of folded fabric, right sides together.  After sewing, cut a hole in the back and turn right side out.  They are free motion quilted into position and will NEVER come off!
I finished them off with a crocheted body using funky fur yarn.



We had a bit of brightness this day and the light shows up the true colours of the quilt.




Back to the dull shots now, but they do show up the quilting nicely. BTW, the quilting was done freehand on a Janome 1600 which is not on a frame.





Enjoy the weekend.
Rhianon. :)

12 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

beautiful xx just shows what a bit of embelishment will do for your project xx

Mama Jo's Inspired by Love said...

Wowzers! What more can I say...love it!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Fantastic Rhianon!!!! beautiful as always...and great solution!!!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Gorgeous! What a great way to use snow dyes, Rhianon. And clever solution to the turquoise! I'm almost done a snow dye project too.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Beautiful! Love the butterflies! And as always your quilting is superb!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a lovely quilt and those three dimensional butterflies are a perfect addition so, maybe, the turquoise showing through was for the best :)

Lynette said...

Oh, wow! The butterflies are so wonderful - love the added color play that the 3D solution brought into the mix, and the furry bodies are perfect. :D

KatieQ said...

Wow!!! This quilt is gorgeous. It is perfect right down to the last detail of the crocheted fuzzy butterflies bodies.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Such a gorgeous quilt!

bozi said...

Rion love your quilting. It's like whipped cream on the cake. The beautiful and amazing, as always.

CitricSugar said...

That's a clever fix! I am, as always, swooning over your quilting stitches… It's probably a good thing I don't live close enough to pester you to teach me stuff. :-)

Frog Quilter said...

Awesome quilting!!!! Love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...