Friday 16 October 2015

Quilted Vintage Tablecloth

A while back I joined a group on Facebook called Quilting Vintage. It's all about quilting old embroidered tablecloths, runners, doillies and handkerchiefs.
Taking something old and beautiful, giving it new life and making it even more beautiful.

A lot of beautiful work on that page and I wanted to try my hand at it.

After scouring the local charity shops, I found these at £1 each.


Couldn't wait to get home and load up the frame.  I started with the pale mint green one which has pretty hand embroidery.

I didn't really have a plan so off I went.  I started with the embroidered corner motifs and then moved down to the middle.


A flower in the center seemed a good starting point.




I then rolled the frame back and filled in the background with pebbling, eventually moving down and finishing the final two corner motifs.


Its all freehand, unmarked and was a lot of fun.


These are a brilliant and inexpensive way to practice quilting.  I'm thinking what to do with the next one now........
Thanks for visiting today
Happy stitchin'
Rhianon.

11 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

That looks superb. I have three lovely table cloths awaiting this kind of loving.

patch 9 said...

What a lovely idea. I wish I had a longarm. Your quilting is superb

Doreen said...

The only thing more addicting than quilting vintage is FMQ itself!!!! You are "hooked", my dear!!!! Beautiful stitching!!!!! AND a note to Esther Olesen.......a long arm is not what's needed but lots of practice is. I use my Juki TL2010Q to do all my vintage pieces!!!! Hugs...

Marla's Crafts said...

That is absolutely beautiful. What a good idea. You did a beautiful job.

Unknown said...

Very clever idea and a lovely work. I´m always in admiration with your creativity.
Congratulations!!!
Hugs.
Fina

JeanetteSchenk said...

So beautiful and inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

liniecat said...

Stunning!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

That's a great idea!

Lynette said...

Nicely done, Rhianon!

LuAnn Kessi said...

Absolutely stunning Rhianon.....and oh so much FUN! Your stuff is inspiring.
Wishing you continued success in all you do!
LuAnn Kessi in Oregon
luannkessi.blogspot.com

Eileen said...

Rhianon, I love what you're doing with these vintage pieces. I have stuff from my mother's apartment and found a hand embroidered table scarf! It really is adorable, but has bleeding from some red flowers. Do you know how to get that out?
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...