Friday 28 February 2014

Lone Star Quilt Part 2


I finally got the quilting finished on my lone star quilt.  I have to keep reminding myself that I'm still a beginner on the frame because I get very frustrated when my work isn't as neat as it is when I was FMQ on the table top.  Also when I work, I am close up with it, so every longer stitch or wonky line is extra visible. I can still count the number of quilts completed on the frame on one hand.
However, when I step back and look at the quilt as a whole, the effect is quite nice really.
I know some of you probably think I'm nuts but I'm a perfectionist and am always striving  to be a technically better quilter.
Here's the photos.  See what you think.



Even though I have a ruler, I chickened out of using it.  I drew the lines, then free handed them.  I'm puzzled as to how I can use a ruler without a stitch regulator to stop the machine when I stop.









I'm in the process of binding this now  - I used a solid red.   I'll come back and add a photo of the whole quilt when I'm finished.
Next up ?

 Well, I just loaded a plain piece of fabric and I'm playing - lots of rolling the quilt back and forward here because of my small working space but I am making it work for me.  Its a steep learning curve but I'm having fun!!


Enjoy your weekend!
Rhianon.

13 comments:

NonnaD said...

Do you have a stop on up or stop on down option? I was told when you get to the end to choose a position beforehand and then push stop.I hope that helps a bit. I'm in no way proficient on longarm yet. It is a lot different as you know!
Beautiful work Rhianon!

happydaysquilting said...

It's really beautiful, give yourself a big pat on the back! To quilt that well already after so few quilts is awesome.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Rhianon....your work is stunning!! You have nothing to worry about when it comes to quilting. I only wish I had work like this.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful, I love the way you switched up the sashings so the blocks aren't all lined up. And of course the quilting is beautiful!

On my long arm I have a start and stop button on the handle of my machine, which doesn't have a stitch regulator, and when I am using the ruler, I keep my thumb on it for stopping and starting. That may not be an option since your machine is a domestic, not a true longarm. I wander if there is an option you can buy to give you a stop and start button on your handle?

Carol Ann Hopper said...

I think your quilt looks amazing

quiltmom anna said...

Rhiannon, It is a really stunning quilt- I love your color choices and your quilting is spectacular. Sometimes we are own worst critics-
It is good to strive to get better but also important to enjoy our successes. It is going make someone's room be filled with beautiful color. Congratulations for trying this challenging quilt and doing such a fantastic job with it.
Regards from Alberta, Anna

Kitchener Quilter said...

You're right, waaaay too hard on yourself! It's amazing.

ipatchandquilt said...

Yeah, you are officially NUTS! LOL!!! Your quilting is AMAZING!!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Karen M said...

Your quilting is absolutely beautiful. I am a follower because I am a new longarmer also. I love seeing the work of others so I can learn.

Frog Quilter said...

Your quilting is beautiful. Love it,

Deeau said...

Beautiful, I am really interested to see how you progress from machine to frame, I hope to one day get a frame to learn the new skill but am happy now to work on my wonderful Sweet Sixteen

Michele said...

I love how you quilted this. It is gorgeous.

Doreen said...

I love your technique!!! Perfection will never be achieved this side of heaven!!! It is the "human element" that I cherish in quilts such as this one. Systems, such as the Statler, remove that and replace it with the "machine made" look of a computer. All technology is not good, especially when it comes to the quilting world. I quilt on a Sweet Sixteen and would not have it any other way (space is too small for a frame but I would choose the SS regardless!!!!!). The SS and my Juki TL2010Q are awesome FMQ machines.....and I don't use a stitch regulator (not even on my Bernina 440QE!!!). You are truly a fiber/textile artist!!!! Hugs........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...