Thursday 20 December 2012

Bits and Pieces


I can finally say that I feel ready for Christmas.  Last week was very busy and I didn't get much sewing done at all.  By the time thursday arrived I was itching to stitch!
After watching a video by a Russian lady by the name of Natasha, I was inspiried to try some continuous line feather filler...and here it is...



I used a piece of duckegg blue satin and Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 wadding.  I took all these photos at night in different rooms, trying to get a good light.



I'm really pleased with how it turned out and can't wait to use it on a quilt.

If you'd like to see more of Natasha's work, you can find her blog here.
It's in Russian but just hit Google Translate and enjoy.

Natasha is one of my favourite quilters, a very talented lady who does all her quilting on a domestic machine.
Well worth a visit.


Over the weekend I got some small projects done. 



First up is this cute dolls quilt set.  I made it for the grandaughter of the caretaker who looks after the building our quilt group meets in.  A little birdie told me Santa is bringing her a new pram so I couldn't resist. It small, measures 12" x 15" and I had fun making it.


Next up I've been making some coasters, 3 sets of 4. Will come in handy for Christmas!


Also I forgot to show you what we made at quilt group last time -  ring pin cushions

I made a bigger one to go on my wrist.


I actually bought a plastic one because I needed it and it was totally useless, These ones are much better - they are made with elastic and  I've been using it alot especially when piecing.

So that is what I have been up to lately. 
I don't know if I will post again before Christmas,-  depends if I get any sewing done - so I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.  Take care and have fun!
Rhianon.

12 comments:

SUPERQUILTER said...

I love --I love it. Beautiful work. I try to quilt on my DSM. Yours is an inspiration. I will look into the other blog you mentioned. All I can say is WOW!

John'aLee said...

That is some pretty amazing feathering! Love all your projects~

Unknown said...

The continuous filler feathers are amazing as usuall. I finished my Labirynth, and I'm uploading pics to Finish itFriday fb page. Letme kknow what you think. I'm going to take a look at your Russian quilting friends page. Merry Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Monika said...

Merry Cristmas to you and your family - and thanks you so much for all the wonderful inspiration you've given me all this year! A feather filler is exactly what I'm after for my next felt background for mum, but can you just remind me where I find the translate button on that other blog? I've been clicking on all sorts of things but not found it yet ;-)

Monika said...

Got it now - you wouldn't think I have just been offered an e-learning job! xoxo

Quilting Babcia said...

Your feathers are truly gorgeous, and I just love that doll set! Two granddaughters would echo that sentiment, in their toddler language of course!

Joan said...

Love that - I also think Natasha is great with her video's. I must do a larger piece too...yours is absolutely gorgeous.

Lynette said...

Sure do love the new banner pic!!

Mary-Frances said...

Those feathers are just stunning. I will have to check out Natasha's work too.

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Debbie, was it you who left the comment asking me to do a few posts on how to get the feathers to curl nicely? I accidentally deleted it before I got a chance to reply but anyway, yes I will see what I can do once Christmas is over. :)

Debbie said...

It was me....Debbie at Stitchin Therapy. I've tried a couple of practice ones....they are just so angular and don't curl around nicely. So I am drawing on paper until you lend me some guidance. Thanks.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you so much for including the link to Natasha's wonderful blog! I love your feather sample, and included a link to your blog and this post in my 2012 FMQ Challenge Retrospective, as an example of how networking with other Challenge participants increased my access to other inspiring blogs and tutorials. My post was just added to SewCalGal's Linky Party.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...