Friday 4 May 2012

Butterflies and Sunflowers - The Beginnings of a New Quilt.

Hi there.
I hope you've all had a productive week.  I don't have a finish for today because I have started  a major project.............


I have been commissioned to make this quilt - key words are blues, greens, butterflies, sunflowers with possibly a rainbow effect.
This is how it is going so far.

A friend of mine (thank you Irene !)  hand dyed the center fabric - I didn't want to use cream or white as I thought it would be too stark.   I made up some churn dash blocks and already it is taking shape.

I made templates for my butterflies and cut them out of fabric that had vilene(stabiliser) ironed on the back.

Next up - placement of the sunflowers.......

Now I am ready for the next stage, which is sewing down all the shapes.

I am very happy with how it is looking so far.  I have quite a bit to go before it will be the right size for a double bed.
Must say I am really enjoying working on this and I'm really looking forward to quilting it.
More updates on this quilts progress to follow.
Now I am off to spend the whole day in my sewing room - bliss!
See you all next time.
Rhianon.

7 comments:

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's looking great so far, Rhianon! Love those colours!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

This is beautiful. You and M-R amaze each time I see what your are working on.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

This is already awesome and will be beautiful when done! Love your butterflies!

JoAnne said...

Wow! It is so pretty! I'm really looking forward to seeing the rainbow effect, too.

Elaine said...

I love this quilt. I like the sunflowers and butterflies and the way you used a pieced border. Very fun.

Diane-crewe said...

love the colours... so right to go with the "softer" colours xx

Victoria M. said...

This is lovely. The sunflowers really stand out nicely against the blue, yet don't detract from the butterflies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...