Saturday 28 March 2015

Melons Quilt

Hello there
its been a while since I blogged but I always like to have a finished quilt to show.
this is my latest one. It was a happy mistake.  I actually wanted to make an orange peel quilt but couldn't find the tool.
Instead I bought an uneven nine patch ruler, thinking it would do.  When it arrived, it was far too big for an orange peel block.  Never mind, thought I'd play with my new ruler anyway!


 I used a charm roll called Love Glows from Crafts and Quilts.  Isn't it lovely fabric ?


These blocks measure 10.5".  Once they are made, I used the ruler to cut these shapes.




 Using the nine patch ruler again, I cut melons in cream to join the blocks together.
Then it was onto the frame for quilting.

 I used one layer of Soft and Bright and machine quilting thread from Empress Mills.

 So far, so good.......






 The only marking for quilting I did for the melons was a dot in the middle.  Its all freehand.



 This is my machine, a Janome 1600P.  I don't have a stitch regulator.  If you are wondering what the silver lever is by the handle, its a modification my husband did for me.  I really didn't like the gizmo that came with the set up, a start/ stop button and a dial for setting speed so now I have this.  My husband's a gem!

 Just off the frame .....



Finished and bound!









 I'm busy working away on a new quilt so will have more to show soon.
Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting today.
happy quilting
Rhianon

10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Works out well for you!, Your uilt ing is absolutely gorgeous.

Unknown said...

You are so talented with your quilting. Your feathers are beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Love looking at your work.

Lainee said...

OMG!! This is brilliant! I've wanted to put my Juki on a frame (without the expense of a stitch regulator) but the idea of no instantaneous speed control just didn't appeal to me. Is that silver lever a bike brake?

OMG!! brilliant!!

What Comes Next? said...

This turned out beautifully! Gorgeous quilting

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Not only finished and bound but gob smacking beautiful!
What a blessing to have a clever husband!

I love that you have completed all the quilting unmarked and freehand. That's the kind of quilting I do, so liberating!

Seams French said...

Great colours and beautiful quilting.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josie said...

Wow, just wow - Your quilt is sew stunning!

Annmarie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting. Your feathers are so gracious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...