Saturday 19 May 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival

The other day a fellow quilter wrote and encouraged me to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival which is hosted by Amy's Creative Side

This is the quilt I have decided to enter - my Gecko Fabulous wall hanging.

I don't have a special story to go with this quilt - it just kinda happened.
This was a spin off project from a challenge we were set at quilt group - to decorate a bag.
Here is my bag :

I loved the little gecko so much I had to do something else so that is how this wall hanigng came about.

I started with some 1 1/2" batik strips and made a postage stamp border.

I then added them to a piece of hand dyed fabric.

After quilting it and binding it,( I tried McTavishing for the first time) , it was ready for me to 'decorate' it.

The geckos and the leaves are 3 dimensional - I machine quilted some fancy patterns on them and added some beading.  Then I added more wadding and a backing and satin stitched all around the edge and cut them out.  You can see in more detail here

It measures 20" x 24".

Don't forget you can click on the photos for an even bigger view.





I hope you have enjoyed seeing my geckos , now hop over to Amy's blog and check out all the other quilts in the festival.  I warn you - you could be there for some time!  Enjoy!

23 comments:

Deborah OHare said...

I love this. Something completely different and I love gekkos!

CitricSugar said...

That is really cool! Love how you pieced the background and the dimensional quality of the geckos..

Teje Karjalainen said...

I really enjoyed seeing your fantastic work! It's so great to find something new and unique! Your art quilt is beautiful! Sunny wishes from Greece!

M-R Charbonneau said...

I'm so glad you shared this one, Rhianon. It's beautiful and the details are incredible!

Karen said...

What an interesting piece. Lots of attention to detail. Very creative.

Carla said...

Such amazing detail! I love everything about it! Thanks for sharing.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

So interesting and unique. The quilting is gorgeous and the geckos are wonderful. I love it.

John'aLee said...

Amazing. I love it because it is so different!

Laura said...

WOW! Great work!

Cindy said...

Those gecko's are amazing...so much texture! Great mini.

Happy Quilt Festival.

ps. love the appliqued piece in your header!

Monika said...

You're just so clever!!!!! Love your work!!!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks beautiful and I really love the border you did, perfect!

CraftyGardenMom - Tanesha said...

I just love the 3D effect of the geckos. This is beautiful artwork!

Angie in SoCal said...

I love it and loved going through the process. What an artist you truly are! Thanks for sharing your geckos.

Queenie Believe said...

Awesome quilt. I love Love LOVE it!!! Coming from the Southwestern U.S. I quite familier geckos. The boarder is yummy too!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Eileen said...

Wow...beautiful!

Sandy said...

Absolutely love this quilt! The details, the workmanship, the colors! Gorgeous!

Ariane said...

I love it!! So original!!

Misha said...

I'm in love! Geckos are so cool and your quilt is gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, he's adorable!

Eileen said...

wow! that's a stunning quilt. the postage stamp borders are beautiful, but that center is so unbelievably wonderful. just fantastic!!!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

Misha said...

I was so happy to see yours made the nomination list. It totally got my vote today! I love this so much!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love the Gecko and voted for it in the Bloggers Quilt Festival. I love your mug rug and appreciate the tutorials. I like yours better than any others I have seen. Thanks for sharing, Denby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...