Saturday 14 December 2013

Floating Hearts Baby Quilt


Hello there

I was very happy to be asked to make a baby quilt recently.  I was given free reign as long as it was girly and had some nice quilting on it.
This is what I came up with:


I chose hearts and kept the design simple so as to leave big open areas for quilting.  The finished quilt measures 35" x 43".


I used bondaweb and machine appliqed the hearts.   There is no trapunto here, instead I used a thick 6 oz polyester wadding (batting).  Outline quilting, then flattening the background with stippling really makes the hearts and feathers 'pop'.


I free motion quilted this on my domestic machine. I will be practicing my frame quilting in the new year but until then I am doing it they way I know best.


Decided to try a half feather in the pink border and i love how it turned out.




 I finished the quilt with a piano key border, rounded off the corners and bound with a plain pink.


I worked a loopy heart pattern in the outer border.



This quilt will be delivered to new owner next week and will be given as a gift. I hope they love it as much as I do :)
I'll leave you with one last close up.

  Thanks for visiting.
Rhianon.

17 comments:

ipatchandquilt said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous... Gorgeous!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt@yahoo.com
ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

Luz2Quilt said...

An heirloom quilt for sure! Absolutely stunning!

Michele said...

I am just speechless. This baby quilt is just wonderful. Nicely done.

NonnaD said...

Gorgeous and the receiver will LOVE and CHERISH it forever! !
Have my backing rolled on and batting too. Need to cut threads and make sure top is ready to go and praying all goes well with my first quilt on new longarm!
I have until the 23rd to finish....my first queen sized ever....hope it's enough time! Lol

Life in the Dog House said...

Absolutely stunning and the fact that you did it on a domestic machine makes it even more amazing. I am going to pin this design and keep it handy in case I ever have a special little girl that I need to make a quilt for.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Absolutely stunning Rhiannon ! I have a design for a wool wall hanging that is similar. Now I'm excited to get going on it! Just beautiful!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

The baby quilt is fantastic Rhianon...your work is exceptional again!! I just love the quilting that you did on it; makes those little hearts jump!!

Mary said...

This is so pretty!

Unknown said...

such a girly little quilt, some Mommy and baby are going to be very happy. This is beautiful.

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Raewyn said...

It is beautiful!! One very lucky baby :-)

Geta Grama said...

Very beautiful. It makes me want to try quilt with such thick batting.

Michelle said...

Wow! That is the most amazing baby quilt I've ever seen -- talk about an heirloom!

Margaret said...

I cant think of one just one work to describe this stunning piece of work. It is breathtaking.

Carli The Quilter said...

You are one talented gal, this is soooo cute!

Sew Darn Cute Quilting said...

I love your quilt, I am flooded with inspiration. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

Linda Driftmyer said...

Wow what a masterpiece!!! I am so inspired and appreciative that you shared this quilt.....thank you. Absolutely the prettiest baby quilt I've ever seen. Great Job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...