Saturday 7 September 2013

A Practice Quilt - on the Frame

Hi everyone.
This week I finally got to play on my frame.  This is a top I pieced ages ago using Suzanne McNeill's 10 minute block.


As I am still a novice on the frame, I used a 4oz poly wadding, don't want to use up all my good Hobbs.  I'm still getting used to the feel of the machine and actually think my frame needs to be raised a bit.  My back was aching after a while and I felt I was stooping to see what I was doing.




 I found these clam shells quite easy to do and think they look ok.  I don't have a stitch regulator  and I really want one as I think it would definitely help with control.  Sometimes you need to sew fast and sometimes not so fast.  At the moment it is just start and stop - I find it very distracting having to take my eyes off the sewing to turn the dial to speed up or slow down.  This is resulting in some wonky stitches. Not good.


 So this is my very first quilt worked on my frame.  Already I have learned a lot.  Like the importance of stitch ditching - something I didn't really bother with when quilting on the table top.  I need to get a ruler - my next question is : will the base of my machine be wide enough to rest the ruler on ?   I know longarm machines have a plate attachment available but I can't find anything for my Janome 1600p.
The ruler is not that expensive so I think I will go ahead and try anyway..


                                   A bit of messy thread build up in the spine of these feathers.


                                                          These ones are a bit neater.




                    You can see the need to stitch in the ditch to define the squares in this photo.

                                                                         Back.


 Another problem I encountered was not leaving enough backing to give the machine room to quilt right up to the edges.  Lesson learned. Some side leaders would have solved that problem.


Just adding the binding to this now and looking forward to my next quilt.  Today I am quilting my hummingbird wall hanging - so it should be a good day!
Enjoy your weekend!
Rhianon :)

18 comments:

Janet said...

I think it looks awesome! Each new quilt will have a lesson. Have fun!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Beautiful Rhianon

Charlie's Long Arm Quilting said...

Rhianon your quilt looks awesome but I admire all your quilting anyway so inspiring. I have a Innova 26" I am one of a few when I do ruler work I do NOT put my base on. I find it to get in the way and I can take up slack in the top if need it with out it to. So my thoughts is no you do NOT need it. You can go to the lumber yard get you a 2x10" aprox 1/4-1/2 inch piece of wood for you a ruler. I had a man cut mine out of plexiglass nothing fancy but it works but did use wood for a long time at first. Their is not a custom quilt I do that doesn't have SID or ruler work. I learned ruler work first.So I never was afraid to use one. Your work is awesome so enjoy seeing it very inspiring.

Robin said...

Looks like you are having a ball with your frame! I love looking at all your pics!

Nancy Staub said...

You KNOW I love your work and this one is no different! I've never seen that pattern before but I'm certainly going to look for it. I have to tell you how much I admire you sharing the places that aren't perfect! I tend to think - incorrectly, of course - that you and the other gorgeous quilters don't have the same problems that I do!!!!! It's comforting to see that you do. Also, I've read NOT to stitch in the ditch - but, as you know, whatever you say to do, I'll do! :-) Stitch in the ditch it is! Thanks SEW much for sharing. <3

Nancy Staub said...

You KNOW I love your work and this one is no different! I've never seen that pattern before but I'm certainly going to look for it. I have to tell you how much I admire you sharing the places that aren't perfect! I tend to think - incorrectly, of course - that you and the other gorgeous quilters don't have the same problems that I do!!!!! It's comforting to see that you do. Also, I've read NOT to stitch in the ditch - but, as you know, whatever you say to do, I'll do! :-) Stitch in the ditch it is! Thanks SEW much for sharing. <3

Unknown said...

I have ordered the extended base for my Gammill longarm. I am currently using a very short straight ruler easily without it, and I think the best part of the ruler is the little notch that fits around the hopping foot and lets me control the foot right down on the quilt with one hand and the other hand on the handle. If you don't get an extension I would think you would need to keep your ruler fairly short. When I first started quilting I didn't SID on anything either, and now I do nearly everything. It stabalizes the quilt very nicely and then you can roll the quilt back and forth on the fram to quilt different areas. Also you can make really nice side stabalizers (sorry can't think of what these are really called)with a 6 or 8 inch of twill tape about 1 inch wide. then sew one end to a long piece of velcro that can be pulled and wrapped around the frame and you can pin the other end of the twill tape to your quilt backing. Cheaper than buying ready made ones.

Unknown said...

http://www.createforless.com/Handi-Quilter-VersaTool-Ruler/pid229067.aspx

This is the little ruler I use alot. it's not a really good pic, but you can google it and find a better picture. The little nooks are great for getting good control and guiding the foot to stitch in the ditch along curves and for straight lines. The straight edge of the ruler is about 4 inches long, but it really is nice and you can slide it along easily on a long straight line of the quilt

Unknown said...

http://www.createforless.com/Handi-Quilter-VersaTool-Ruler/pid229067.aspx

This is the little ruler I use alot. it's not a really good pic, but you can google it and find a better picture. The little nooks are great for getting good control and guiding the foot to stitch in the ditch along curves and for straight lines. The straight edge of the ruler is about 4 inches long, but it really is nice and you can slide it along easily on a long straight line of the quilt

Susan Lawson said...

Yay! and so it starts...there's no stopping you now!! :) Quilting looks great!

Linda Coleman said...

oh you have put me to shame, I have a frame for 5 years now and I can't do anything like you can. I'm so jealous, fab work

Corina said...

beautiful!

Carli The Quilter said...

Lovely quilt and learning too! There is no stopping you now! LOL

Amanda said...

Great practise quilt! I used to have both my Grace frame and then my Avante frame at the height they recommend (about elbow height), until I had a chat with Ferret. She's only little but her frame height is just about under her boobs. I had to raise my frame about 3 inches. I think it's sort of similar to a desk height to your torso even though you're sitting, usually a few inches higher than you elbow but below your boobs!! I suppose you're eyes and neck are much more used to that distance.

Laura said...

Oh you are still here. Bloglovin doesn't love you!!!

Doreen said...

I just found your place here and it's awesome! Love your quilting, since I am a feather-addicted quilter and use many of the same techniques you do. I have a HQ Sweet Sixteen (acquired last November). I didn't have room for any type of frame and really preferred moving the fabric rather than the machine. Hugs, Doreen

Lynette said...

That was a perfect practice quilt with the huge chunks of space naturally divided for it. TOO COOL that you have a frame and longarm now :D Keep having fun

Thearica said...

I love my stitch regulator... I do not think I could quilt without it.. Get it for yours.. you will be so glad that you did.

Your work is amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...