Sunday 7 October 2012

My Fishy Wall Hanging - Finished!

Remember my fishy wall hanging I started a while back ? - well I managed to finish it this week.  If you missed the original post, click here.  I called it a throw in my first post but it has now turned into a wall hanging :)


I was using the blue border batik for another project and needed to keep enough for this, so that how I ended up working on it.  It wasn't my intended finish for the week.


I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 wadding which seemed very flat after using thick 4oz polyester but I am more than happy with the result.


I had a lot of fun doing the free motion quilting ( on my domestic).  On the string blocks I started off using King Tut's varigated rainbow thread but ran out so I switched to a Gutermann rainbow thread and it was much better to sew with for some reason.  Perhaps the bobbin thread I was using was more compatible.


The fish and seahorses were small enough that they didn't need quilting.

I outlined the fish a couple of times then filled in with bubbles...



In the orange border, I quilted half a feather, using the edge of the center panel as the spine.
I couldn't wait to get to the outer borders to try a slightly different feather.  I wanted them to look a bit like seaweed.


Here's a few close ups........









I'll leave you with a final shot - this wall hanging is going in my living room. 



Until next time, happy stitchin' everyone.
Rhianon.

I'm linking this post to Connie's blog,Freemotion by the River for Linky party Tuesday.  Ok I know I finished it at the weekend but it still counts, I hope:)

19 comments:

happydaysquilting said...

Beautiful quilting and I love your original design quilt!

Monika said...

You know I love all your quilting, but you manage to make every new piece the bestest ever (as my children would say lol). Want to get home and to my machine when I see this! Well done once again!!!

Debbie said...

You turned a cute type wall hanging in to something fabulous with your amazing stitching.I love the way to outlined several times and all the bubbles. Such an inspiration to us to keep trying! Thanks

Larissa said...

It looks gorgeous Rhianon!!! I love the quilting choices you've made in each of the different elements!!! - your feathers are getting even better each time you do it!!!

Maureen Terblanche said...

Stunning as always Rhianon. You really have the gift!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Gorgeous, Rhianon!

JoAnne said...

It is just spectacular! Awesome job. You should try to get this published.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What beautiful work and I agree that you should make a pattern out of the Rhianon!! Love the seaweed feathers too!

Quilting Babcia said...

Simply spectacular! Your quilting really pulls all the design elements together. Fantastic!

Marlene said...

That is fantastic. your quilting really makes the piece pop. Love your choices of quilting designs and yes it does look like seaweed wafting in the water. Well Done.

Diane-crewe said...

beautiful... I have loved watching it grow from a throw into a stunning wall hanging xx

VickiT said...

That turned out just awesome. I love the way the quilting was done around the fish. Just beautiful.

Sandra Kaye said...

super cite quilt!! I love it!!

Anne-Marie B. said...

What a beautiful wall hanging! I love your sea horses!

Lynette said...

Oh, my! Lady - you are smokin' hot with the quilting these days! This is FANTASTIC. :D

Sue Daurio said...

Just AMAZING quilting. Love the seaweed feathers and the bubbles, beautiful!!

Teresa in Music City said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!! Seahorses are my fav and this quilt makes me smile! Thanks for sharing on Linky Tuesday so I could see it:*)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your work is just lovely and so creative.

straythreads said...

This quilt is fabulous Looks like one my daughter would pick
Beautiful Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...